Monday, April 16, 2012

For hair dye to show up on dark, relaxed, African American hair, do you have to bleach it first?

I have African American relaxed hair that is pretty thick (I use 'super' relaxer instead or 'regular' and my hair still gets puffy rather quickly after I straighten) and my hair is very dark brown (almost black).



I want to either dye my whole head or get a bunch of highlights. I want to go either a bright red, burgundy or light brown.



Is it true that if you have dark and/or thick hair you have to bleach it first, then dye it? I hear that bleaching is VERY bad for hair. I hear it eats out your hair and if you get it on your scalp it goes in and damages the hair inside as well. Since i relax my hair would it make the result worse? (I relaxed about two and a half weeks ago). Or would I be okay because I have thick hair? AND is the fact that I have split ends bad? I am planning on going to a professional and have my ends cut and my hair done there, but I want to find out if bleach is necessary BEFORE I go.



For hair dye to show up on dark, relaxed, African American hair, do you have to bleach it first?

Just a sidenote, but do you go to a salon to get your hair permed or do it at home? Because I have thick hair too %26amp; when I got my first perm it was a boxed perm. I've also tried Motions Super, Regular, %26amp; the lite kind. The box perm took but it wasn't long before my hair had puffed back out. Motions just didn't work for me at all. It burned so bad no matter which type was used. So I go to the salon to get my hair permed %26amp; since I've been going for so long she knows how much %26amp; what type to put on my hair for it to take, and also where it doesn't really burn. So if you're doing it at home %26amp; you're getting results that last I suggest going to a salon.



Okay, now to your question. If you want to completely dye your hair then you can relax %26amp; color on the same day. And even though they say that, being the person I am, I would wait 2 weeks anyway just to be sure. If you are getting highlights then you must wait 2 weeks at the least before getting them after your perm. Color fades out over time. Which can either be good (if you like the color at first %26amp; if you continue to like it after it fades %26amp; mixes with your natural color) or bad (if you don't like the color that forms when it begins fading %26amp; mixing with your natural tone). Hi-lights have to get touched up too.



Uh, I don't think that we Blacks get our hair bleached. I've never seen it done %26amp; I've seen plenty of ladies getting hair dyed while I was in the shop. Yes, make sure you get your ends trimmed first. You may want to get the ends trimmed %26amp; then wait a little while before getting it coloured. Because you want to make sure your hair is as healthy as possible before getting it coloured because colour takes enough care by itself.



For hair dye to show up on dark, relaxed, African American hair, do you have to bleach it first?

Whomever is going to dye your hair will tell you what they intend to do. If you want a color far lighter than the one you've got I see no other way but to strip the dark color out and then dye it the lighter shade.



You're stylist will know by looking at your hair, especially depending on the condition of it, what to do to achieve the color you want. They also may tell you that they can't do it without causing damage.



For hair dye to show up on dark, relaxed, African American hair, do you have to bleach it first?

YES



For hair dye to show up on dark, relaxed, African American hair, do you have to bleach it first?

don't do any thing yourself let a pro look at your hair. bleach is extremely hard on hair and you already have a relaxer on it. Might not be a good idea. your hair will turn out as dry as straw and break off. lightening hair is very tricky, yes most of the time you have to strip the color out by way of bleach then add the color you want and many times you never get the color you wanted. If you are not careful you will have it in such bad condition the only thing you can do is cut it off and start over or it sometimes will just break off from all the chemicals. so let the pros do their thing and sometimes even they mess it up. Good Luck



For hair dye to show up on dark, relaxed, African American hair, do you have to bleach it first?

Having color deposit on top of a relaxer is not the best option if you want healthy hair. Please know if you attempt to lighten or lift your hair, it will be overprocessed. This will cause extensive damage to your hair and it will never be the same (trust me!).



As an alternative, try a weave. You can choose any color you like without doing damage to your own hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment